Monday, January 18, 2010

say cheeeeeeeeese...:)

as I discussed it in my last post, I baked my first cheese cake. I liked it :) and of course it need so much improvements, it was not bad for the first time.
I got the recipe from my friend, she lives in Toronto ( she makes one of the best cheesecakes I ever had ), so here is her reciepe and at the ened I got the comments I gathered from my friends and my dear husband..

Classic creamy cheesecake:
FOR THE CRUST:
1 1/4 cup honey Graham crackers
1/3 cup melted butter
FOR THE FILLING:
2 egg separated
1 egg white
500 gr cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs. orange zest ( this was not in the original recipe, my own addition)

Heat the oven to 350 C. grease the bottom of your pan.
MAKING THE CRUST:
mix the graham crackers with the melted butter and press the mixture in the base and the wall of the pan with your fingers or back of a spoon. make sure that the crumbs are evenly distributed. put it in the oven for about 3-4 min.
MAKING THE FILLING:
beat the softened cream cheese and sugar with mixer and add the eggs one by one till the batter is smooth. at the end add orange zest and vanilla.
pour the batter into the cooled crust and bake in for about 40 minutes. if it is necessary bake for another 5 min. after that transfer it to a cold place and let it cool down. set in the fridge for a minimum of 5 hour or over night.
for its topping you could buy ready topping from your grocery store.
Comments:
1- I think my cheese cake was a little bit overcooked so it wasn't that creamy when I served it . because when I cut it it wasn't going smoothly. it is clear from the picture. so next time I bake it for 35 minutes ( and that is all because of my oven ) 

2- again because of my oven ( the heat is not distributed evenly and I have this problem all the time ) the top of the cake cracked . I read that in a cook book they put the pan in a larger pan surrounded by hot water for a same amount of time (40 min), I will try this method next time!
3- this amount of sugar won't give you very sweet cheesecake, so if you like the sweet ones add 1 cup of sugar instead of 3/4 cup.
4-for the topping I like to use fresh fruit next time. it will look and of course taste much better.
so  here is the recipe, Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment