Monday, January 18, 2010

Pumkin cake with orange syrup

one of my dear friends gave me a baking cook called "the best of fine cooking, sweet cakes". I love it. one of most intresting feature is that each cake has at least a picture  or if it is necessary more photos of its baking steps. I like cooking books that have final photo of the cooking results, it is a kind of motivation for me.
well ,this weekend I baked a new cake from that book. here is the recipe:

FOR THE CAKE:
1 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup of sugar
1 Tbs. orange zest
1 egg
2 eggs, separated
1 cup of pumpkin pure ( I used canned pure pumpkin)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup fine-ground yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup of toasted crushed walnuts and raisin ( this is my own addition)

FOR THE SYRUP:
1/2 cup fresh orange juice ( I used Tropicana orange juice with pulp)
1/2 cup sugar

MAKE THE CAKE:
heat the oven to 350 F.beat the softened butter and sugar and orange zest till light and fluffy with a mixer. one at a time, add the eggs and egg yolks ( keep the whites) . add the pumpkin and vanilla.
mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cornmeal. add this mixture to the pumpkin batter at 3 stages and stir gently.then I add my walnuts and raisin mix.
in another clean bowel, whip the egg whites till they hold soft peaks ( with very clean whisk). very gently fold the egg whites in the batter and then pour the batter in your prepared pan; smooth the surface and bake about 40-50 minutes ( check with wooden skewer)
let it cool then dust it with sugar if you like ( I didn't do that)

MAKE THE SYRUP:

in a saucepan  over low heat. combine the orange juice and sugar and mix till the sugar is dissolved. increase the heat a little and put it for 2 minutes without stirring. then when it was still warm I pour it on the cooled cake; and served it with caramel ice cream .


No comments:

Post a Comment