Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tres Leches Cake


I baked this cake long long time ago and I posted it once but for some reason blogger ate it, I did not know it was that good. anyhow I contacted them several times, mainly to ask "where is my post" where they did not answer any of them. so I kinda did hunt Google for a a few weeks and saw a lot of people had the same problem as me and they did not know to just wait for them to fix the problem or they should just redo the post. now it's been over 2 months and I think if they wanted to fix it, it should 've been done by now. so on side note I really dislike (close to hate )blogger and the way they handled their shut down situation. 
I think I baked it at Cinco de Mayo weekend. it is a Spanish cake that I had once baked by one of my friends (she is originally from Venezuela ) and it was SO good. it is not like any ordinary cake, so moist and due to its ingredients it has a very special taste. If you never had these, you need to try; believe me it is worth it :)
I will now stop rambling and start the recipe. it has 2 steps one is the cake preparation and while the cake is baking or cooling you have time to make the topping.
Ingredients for the cake :

1 cup sugar
5 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder


First heat the oven at 350 F and grease your pan,best would be a rectangular one ( like 13x9 inch)  

Then in a large bowl, mix egg yolks with  sugar  and mix till they become a light yellow color ( for about 5 minutes), very gently add the milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder. mix them well at low speed or with a spatula, then set aside. 

In another clean bowl, beat the egg whites till they form peaks.make sure to use clean mixing handles.  

Gently add the egg yolk mixture to the egg whits and mix slowly with a spatula. then pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean from the center. take it out from the oven and let it cool down on a rack. 
Ingredients for the topping:
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup  whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoons dark Cuban rum ( you could skip this one though)
1/2 cup of whipped cream + 2 tablespoon of fine sugar  ( already mixed and thick)
In a large bowl, mix the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream, vanilla extract, and rum, whisking until well blended. the result is a liquid cream, it is not dense. 


Once the cake is completely cooled, poke the cake thoroughly (every 1cm) with a toothpick, just be careful not to tear the cake. this whole is for the topping to absorbs to the cake. put  the cake  a baking sheet to prevent the syrup all over the place. very slowly pour the syrup over the top of the cake, and let it absorbs then pour again to prevent the overflow. then use the tick version of whipped cream and spread it all over the surface. 


Cover it and put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours before you serve.

As I told you this no ordinary cake,I am sure you won't be disappointed. I already made plans to bake this after my sugar free challenge is over.
Enjoy!
Mania

No comments:

Post a Comment