Thursday, January 28, 2010

my new favorite taste...

this past weekend, I made something completely new ( of course it was new for me). I never tried adding the caramel taste into my cakes before. and let me tell you something it is something beyond good..!
I am in love with the taste of werther's original caramel candy or the softer ones, but always had problem with them when they stick to my teeth. but by having the same taste in a cake now, the problem is solved :)
so here is the recipe,  it  is taken from "sweet cakes" magazine which I received as a gift.

Triple caramel cake
2 cups of heavy cream
2 1/2 cup sugar
6 oz. ( 12 Tbs.) unsalted butter at room temperature
4 large eggs (at room temperature)
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of roasted , crushed walnuts ( this is my own addition to the recipe)

Making the caramel sauce
pour 2 cups of cream in a saucepan and slowly bring it to boil then lower the heat and keep it at a bare simmer.
put 1 cup of sugar in another saucepan and put it on the medium heat. do not disturb the sugar till it starts to melt and darken. at that point start to gently shake the pan to avoid the sugar from burning.
when all the sugar has melted and caramel getting a dark amber color, remove the pan from heat. add the cream carefully and stir constantly with a wooden spoon. if the caramel is harden, it's ok ,it will melt at the next stage.
put the pan on the medium heat and for about 5-7 minutes keep stirring. then remove it from heat and put aside to to cool it down for about 30 minutes, stir often.
after the caramel is ready measure 1 cup of it and use it in the cake.

Making the cake
heat your oven to 325C. grease and flour your pan ( I used Bundt pan).
cream the butter and 1 1/2 cup of sugar with an electrical mixer until it's fluffy.add the eggs one at a time, mix each well before adding the next one. mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. gently add the dry ingredients into the butter and egg mixture alternately with the reserved caramel, beginning and ending with dry ingredients ( here I added the roasted walnuts). and pour into the prepared pan. and bake for abour 40-45 minutes.
then cool it completely . then pour  the remaining  caramel sauce on it and serve it with ice-cream or everything else you are in mood for.
comments: 
the roasted walnut actually went very well with caramel taste, highly recommended. next time I will add more.
my caramel sauce was a little bit soft. next time I put it on the oven for longer period ( more than 5-7 minutes) so when I pour it on the cake it does not absorb in it.
enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment